Motherz Nite Out: Amy at the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Amy rocks the Elaine Perlov rose t and the hotline phone in her back pocket while replanting annuals

Amy rocks the Elaine Perlov rose t and the hotline phone in her back pocket while replanting perrennials

Grateful to spend a happy and peaceful Mother’s Day and Motherz Nite with Amy and girls yesterday, with my own mom and dad boldly exploring foreign climes. I think the most powerful M-day gift I was able to provide was the combination of fostering happy family time AND blissful alone time for Amy to totally kick back and bliss out. Actually, if you have been following the blog you know that last part was a fib. Amy used her alone time to write a curriculum and replant some flowers, because the path to peace leads through a well-managed garden.

More flowers. Some day I will know their names.

Probably Amy’s most distinctive contribution to our family culture is making the girls comfortable with regular sharing of good and bad moments of the day, as well as good aspects of each other. This is the kind of thing that might have seemed obvious or drippy to me before having kids…or before therapy. But I so treasure Amy’s ability to move on from the daily and hourly infurations of family life to guide us all in having these constructive conversations. We’re shoveling in neurosis-inducing influences with one hand, but thanks to Amy we are helping the girls articulate their mixed bag of feelings with the other. Needless to say, as the lone, introverted male, I also benefit hugely from her influence and tutelage.

Amy outside the House of Blues before the Yeah Yeah Yeahs show

Amy outside the House of Blues before the Yeah Yeah Yeahs show…still in her Elaine Perlov t! Wear it in the garden then out on the town!

After what Amy described as “the best falafel I’ve ever eaten” at Jake’s Falafel Corner with the girls, we got a sitter and went to the House of Blues to see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. If you don’t know the YYYs you might want to immediately purchase It’s Blitz!, their album from 2009 that is one of my absolute favorites ever with nary a weak song (and awesome acoustic versions on the extended version). Their 2003 hit Maps was described by Dave Grohl as the Stairway to Heaven-level love song of the new generation, forever playable at roller rinks and middle school dances (but with a heck of a lot less bombast!). Without getting into the details of how awesome they are, or what a ravishing 7-foot Korean-Polish-American bombshell their lead singer is, in the spirit of Mother’s Day I will just point out some uncanny similarities between Karen O and Amy:

• Natural beauties that look great in any outfit
  • Focus their creative energy on connecting and inspiring the people around them
  • Liberal arts grads who aren’t afraid to jump up and down and look goofy
  • Wear sneakers with anything

See if you can compare and contrast further in this performance. Happy Mother’s Day!